Bicycle Health is a rapidly growing digital health start-up that offers online Medication Based Treatment for patients with Opioid Use Disorder. We offer an evidence-based clinical program focused on medication management, peer support, behavioral health treatment, and care coordination.
The Opioid Epidemic is a systemic problem - millions of Americans are physically dependent on Opioids but only 10% of Americans have access to treatment. Bicycle Health is addressing this gap by offering online, affordable, and confidential treatment with the goal of helping patients take back control of their lives.
We have raised over $30MM in funding and grown to over 150 employees serving over 6000 patients across 21 states. We are looking for a highly qualified in-house Legal Counsel who will build and lead the legal department while overseeing commercial contracting, corporate governance, and compliance with health care regulation and privacy laws.
At Bicycle Health, you will build and lead the legal department while overseeing commercial contracting, corporate governance, and compliance with health care regulation and privacy laws. You will play a critical role in establishing a commercially-oriented culture in the legal team that works collaboratively with the rest of the organization to help Bicycle Health safely grow and achieve its mission.
- Build and lead the legal team at Bicycle Health
- Establish process and procedures to handle rapidly growing commercial contract demands
- Provide expert and strategic legal counsel and guidance to the leadership team
- Provide legal counsel on a wide array of issues, including fraud and abuse laws, corporate practice of medicine, national telehealth professional standards, licensure requirements, FDA mobile medical app and medical device standards, FTC issues for mobile apps and online health programs, transactional issues, privacy and security, and other relevant state and federal laws and regulations, including HR and labor practices.
- Specify internal governance policies and regularly monitor compliance.
- Develop best practices and procedures to ensure compliance with state and federal laws and regulations governing telehealth and digital health.
- Maintain confidentiality of information of highly sensitive nature concerning healthcare, business and employment matters.
- Draft and solidify agreements, contracts and other legal documents to ensure the company’s full legal rights.
- Maintain current knowledge of alterations and revisions in relevant state and federal legislation.
- Proactively ensure that Bicycle Health structures operations to address all applicable privacy and regulatory requirements.
- Support the team across other practice areas, including employment, vendor contracting, intellectual property, telemedicine, investor relations, etc.
- Proven experience as a Legal Counsel in a healthcare technology environment.
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of corporate law and procedures.
- JD from a top law school, admission to a state bar, and 3-4 years of relevant in-house or law firm experience
- Licensed in any state, and eligible to be licensed in California under the in-house licensure requirements
- Extensive experience with privacy laws and regulations (healthcare experience preferred)
- Experience negotiating a variety of agreements and counseling clients on a variety of matters
- Experience drafting and negotiating complex commercial agreements
- Ability to assess and balance both legal and business risks
- Articulate problem solver with knowledge of health benefit plans, healthcare and privacy regulations, including corporate practice of medicine, telemedicine, fraud and abuse rules, HIPAA, and state privacy laws.
- Experience building and leading legal teams in complex organizations through periods of rapid growth and change.
- Ability to take a strategic view of the business and carefully weigh all of the risks it faces against the opportunities that each would prevent.
- Significant experience supporting enterprise sales, marketing, and customer experience teams, including managing a high volume of health plan customer contracts, and responding to customer regulatory, compliance and privacy requirements.
- Sound judgement and ability to analyze situations and information. Provides clarification and solution focused advice on legal language or specifications to everyone in the organization.
- Team-oriented mindset and positive attitude
- Ability to adapt quickly in a dynamic, fast-paced environment and deal with complex matters with multiple stakeholders and team members.
- Performs all work with integrity and responsibility.
- Experience representing technology and/or emerging growth companies, particularly in the digital health space
- Experience in consumer protection, advertising, intellectual property, M&A, and/or healthcare law
- Experience providing legal support to a physician group operating in a multi-state telemedicine practice
- MA or BSc in Business Administration will be considered an advantage.
Compensation and Benefits
- Competitive compensation and benefits package
- Talented, passionate and mission driven co-workers.
- Work remotely from anywhere in the USA.
- Flexible hours